What's in the Bag?
The inhabitants of The Big Bug Bag come from an extensive collection:
- 5 species of stick insect; among them are some of the giants of the insect world (more than 1ft long!)
- Beautiful leaf insects; stunningly camouflaged
- 3 species of giant cockroach (“Arthur” the Madagascan Hissing Cockroach is often the star of the show!)
- 3 species of praying mantis, one of the most alien looking of the insects
- A number of beetle species; beautiful, and some impressively large
- Leaf-like katydids and twig-like horse head grasshoppers
- Assassin bugs; ruthless killers
- Giant millipedes; nature's recyclers!
There is also a selection of arachnids for the children to see:
- There is something that really fascinates the children about Ethel and Daisy, the tarantulas, however creepy they might find them.
- Julian, the vinegaroon is an animal that most people have never even heard of. But once the children have met him, they will never forget him!
- Martin, the whip spider is an amazing animal; he seems to be a strange cross between a spider and a scorpion. Whip Spiders are gentle and harmless, but are feared wherever they are found. Their strange appearance has given then film star status… a Whip Spider appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
Caterpillars, Moths and other creepy crawlies are sometimes available; I am always looking for new beasties.